Technical Support Specialist II - Field Service Engineer
Department: Technical Support
Reports to: Service Manager
Benefits: Medical/Dental and cell phone reimbursement
Vacation: 15 days’ PTO plus company holidays
Salary Range: $50,000-65,000/ year plus bonus and incentive pay
Travel: YES-Local (approximately 50%)
The Level 2 Support Specialist, Field Service Engineer is strong in all of the most common and popular hardware and software technologies in use at any typical small office. The TSS2 will need to have the technical and people skills to communicate clearly with clients in the heat of a technical outage and be able to manage client expectations. This person should be prompt and/or know the importance of communicating ETA's to clients. This person should be skillful at pre-project/work-briefings with each client on each project. This person should then be able to execute with a high degree of success in integrating and/or solving problems in environments rich in Windows Server, Exchange, IIS, Cisco Internetworking, VPN's, firewalls, backup systems and more. The more truly capable the engineer is in all these areas, the higher the utility value.
The L2 TSS will also work with senior staff to contribute to service projects as both participants and project lead. They technician will maintain and monitor the clients’ network systems, troubleshoot when necessary, and make improvements to the network. The Level 2 Support Specialist will assist in providing additional support to Level 1 Support Specialists.
The technician will operate according to defined policies and procedures and provide feedback to senior staff regarding these procedures and policies. The technician will interface directly with clients and will need to be able to think critically, communicate clearly, and work independently. This position will require frequent travel to client locations.
- Log all time on a daily basis.
- Document and communicate problems, solutions, and the implementation process.
- Review LAN architecture; Document, install, and configure LAN, network devices, and software including workstations, switches, routers, and servers.
- Administer, maintain, and support LAN, network devices, and software including workstations, switches, routers, and servers.
- Establish and maintain user accounts and manage security according to defined security policies.
- Analyze problems and research solutions; regularly review current computer systems, peripherals, and procedures for potential cost savings and improvements.
- Interface with clients, vendors and peers to assist with identifying needs and resolving technical support request.
- Provide support at client locations and remotely.
- Develop contingency and disaster recovery plans.
Skills & Qualifications:
- 4+ years’ experience working as a Support Technician
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related technical, Engineering, or scientific
field, or equivalent experience
- Any of the following certifications:
- Microsoft MTA/MCSA/MOS
- A+/Network +
- Implementation, administration, and support experience with any/all of the following technologies:
- Windows Desktop: Windows 7/8.1
- Windows Server: 2008 Standard & SBS; 2012 Standard & Essentials Server.
- Client Software: MS Office; ESET Antivirus; Quickbooks; etc.
- Server Software: Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint, IIS
- Virtualization: VMWare; Microsoft.
- Network Switches, Firewalls and Wireless Access Points: Cisco; SonicWall; Netopia; Netgear.
- Mobility Solutions: Windows Mobile; Active Sync; Apple; Android.
- VoIP: Asterisk
- Group Policy Administration
- Scripting: Batch, Powershell, WMI, WSH
- Intermediate knowledge of networking concepts.
- Working knowledge of ConnectWise, LabTech or other ticketing and network management systems preferred
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Proven ability to work independently
- Must have valid driver’s license and reliable means of insured transportation.
- At least three years’ work experience as a Level 2 Technician and/or appropriate mastery of
- Billing consistently above 3-X W2 for at least year
- Obtains at least one certification per year: Minimum of A+, Server+; MCSA.
- Shows ability to independently work off site